Tuesday, June 2, 2009

SEGREGATION


Brown vs Board of education was a famous lawsuit in 1954 .This lawsuit was cause by the racial segregation in public schools. Brown sued the board of education because she had to walk 1 mile to get to school and she was only in the 3 rd grade. The reason why linda brown had to walk that far to get to school was because she was a black girl and the only school that was next to her house was a all white school. When her father try to tried to enroll her in the white elementary school, but the principal of the school refused because she was black.Brown went to McKinley Burnett, the head of Topeka's branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and asked for help. With Brown's complaint, it had "the right plaintiff at the right time." Other black parents joined Brown, and, in 1951, the NAACP requested an injunction that would forbid the segregation of Topeka's public schools. The U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas heard Brown's case from June 25-26, 1951.The Board of Education's defense was that, because segregation in Topeka and elsewhere pervaded many other aspects of life, segregated schools simply prepared black children for the segregation they would face during adulthood the judges agreed with the expert witnesses; in their decision.Segregation of white and colored children in public schools has a detrimental effect upon the colored children...A sense of inferiority affects the motivation of a child to learn.
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Brown+v.+Board&page=1&qsrc=2417&ab=9&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.loc.gov%2Fexhibits%2Fbrown%2Fbrown-brown.html
DO YOU THINK BROWN DID THE RITE THING?AND ALSO DO YOU THINK THERE IS STILL SEGREGATION NOW WHERE DO YOU SEE IT THE MOST?

MY COMMENT

This article is a very great it give you all the info that you need to no about this lawsuit.I really agree it show you what both party was thinks.There was no better way they could have written this.

My opinion
i wanned to write my opinion but there is a poem i really like that goes by the name The Colour Of My Skin by Giselle Richelieu
I'm not black and I'm not white,
I'm my own colour and that's alright.
colour is something that I cannot change,
A colour is something with a very big range.
But I'm not black and I'm not white,
I'm my own colour and that's alright.
This poem relate to the segregation that was going on in the 50's .Segregation is just crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment